Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dear Tyler


Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:
First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away
and leave me to your past,
and I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts.

I never said good-bye to all
your yesterdays long passed.
So what about tomorrow-
will I recognize your lasts?

I look ahead and dream of days
that haven't come to pass.
But as I do, I sometimes miss
today's sweet, precious lasts....

My life keeps moving faster,
stealing precious days that pass.
I want to hold on longer-
want to recognize your lasts....

I've watched you grow and barely noticed
seasons as the pass.
If I could freeze the hands of time,
I'd hold on to your lasts.

Let me hold on longer, God,
to every precious last.

Excerpt from Let Me Hold you Longer, by Karen Kingsbury

1 comment:

Sarah Geelhoed said...

i got that book for christmas. I cried through the whole entire book! so good though.